Since I haven't posted anything worth note in here yet, here is the rather ramble-y review I did of the Watchmen movie over on my LJ last week. Just so you know what you're getting yerself into by reading this blog, like :P
So, Rich and I went to see Watchmen on Saturday. I went into it very nervous; although I don't hold the comics in quite such a high regard as other comic readers do (I think that's mostly because I read it for the first time about 3 years ago, and I doubt it had the same impact on me it had on people reading it at the time), but I still think it's an amazing comic. The fact that the film was rated 18 made me feel slightly better about the whole affair as I sat down in the cinema to watch it, as I was worried they'd tone down the book and snip out/brush over a lot of the gorier or uncomfortable bits that made the book all the more interesting.
So, the lights go down, the film starts rolling, and OH MY WORD was it totally worth it. The opening credits alone were fantastic. I often find myself watching films and wishing that the credits would wait til the end where they belong, but the credits for Watchmen totally contributed to the film itself, setting the tone and generally being awesome. Fantastic choice of song during the sequence, too.
I figure before I launch into why this film is the shiznit, I shall briefly touch on the two or three things about the film which I didn't enjoy (all of which were minor and mostly down to personal preference):
1. A lot of you will know that I'm not a huge fan of sex scenes in films which aren't porn. For the most part, I think you can totally allude to two characters having had sex without showing them going at it like rabbits. Now, I did go into this film fully expecting a sex scene as it was in the book originally and it plays quite a big part in showing how being a superhero effects these people's lives, the exhiliration and excitement it brings. It practically brings them to life again. However, I do think the scene was maybe just a tad on the long side. Like I say, this is a total Stacebob preference; I'm just not a big fan of sex on screen, especially so when I'm in a cinema full of people I don't know ;P
2. The reliance on slow motion. Now, at some points in the film, I thought it worked superbly. The slow motion punch to the Comedian's face in the first scene, for example, looked great and really showed the power of the guy attacking him. But there was, in my opinion, far too much of it, until it became rather redundant. I can't help but get the feeling that they could've more impressively spent that screen time on other things.
3. The effects/make up in parts, Richard Nixon's putty nose in particular. In a film where they've taken the time and effort to make everything look as realistic as possible, they could've spent a bit more time on that nose... (This is where someone comments to say that that was the actors real nose and I feel awful :P)
Negatives over with, I have to reiterate that I love this movie. I've heard a lot of criticisms regarding the length of the film; I disagree. I didn't feel like I was in the cinema that long at all, and I felt like all the important bits were covered enough that it didn't need to be any longer. I am, however, very excited to see the Black Freighter stuff added when the DVD comes out.
I'm usually very picky about actors performances, but in this film everyone brought their A game. I would say that of all the main characters, the new Silk Spectre was the least exciting for me performance-wise, but that's not to say that she's bad at all. My Stacebob Award for Best Actor in Watchmen has to go to the dude who played the new Nite Owl. There was just something about him that was so amazing; he did a fantastic job playing the part and I hope he gets recognised for it (although I think most people would favour Rorshach, who was, to be fair, also awesome.)
Effects-wise I was pretty pleased with most stuff; some of the gore looked a bit wrong, but nothing so bad that it took me out of the film or anything.
I will admit that I've only read Watchmen once, and it was a few years ago, but as far as I recall this was a pretty true-to-the-book adaptation. I was fine with the few changes they made, and certain scenes seemed to be almost panel for panel. The ending still worked for me, so it was all good.
I think my favourite part of the film was my favourite part of the book (go figure :P), which is when Dr Manhattan realises what a miracle humans are just in and of themselves and decides to help save Earth. I've loved that whole chaos into specific form speech since I read it, and it was delivered incredibly well here.
So, in short, I loved the actors, the fight scenes, the effects, the story, and the soundtrack (aside from the My Chemical Romance song, and the random inclusion of the German version of 99 Red Ballons which was completely odd), with some super-minor gripes on the side.
I am definately gonna see this again at the cinema.
"Thermo-dynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing...
And yet, in each human coupling, a thousand million sperm vie for a single egg. Multiply those odds by countless generations, against the odds of your ancestors being alive; meeting; siring this precise son; that exact daughter... Until your mother loves a man she has every reason to hate, and of that union, of the thousand million children competing for fertilization, it was you, only you, that emerged. To distill so specific a form from that chaos of improbability, like turning air to gold... that is the crowning unlikelihood. The thermo-dynamic miracle."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment